What is personal Iinformation?
Personal information is information about an identifiable individual and includes information that relates to personal characteristics, but does not include business contact information, such as business title, address or telephone number.
Why is personal information about you collected?
We collect and use personal information to provide the services you have requested. Providing us with your personal information is your choice, but your decision to withhold certain personal information may prevent us from providing you with the services you require.
Collection of personal information
When you apply as a prospective tenant at Equiton's properties or contact our staff with an inquiry, we may collect some or all of the following personal information about you:
- Full name
- Date of birth
- Contact information (Telephone number and/or email address)
- Language preference
- Property preferences and residential history
- Employment history
- Credit card and/or bank information
- Social insurance number (see below)
- Employment information
- Automobile information
- References and contact information
The information above is generally collected from you, but we may also obtain such information from financial institutions, credit agencies and your reference contacts for the purpose of assessing your credit, and for processing your transactions and payments.
Please note, however, that most credit reporting agencies use the social insurance number as a unique identifier to ensure proper identification when conducting credit reviews and preparing credit reports.If you do not provide your social insurance number, our ability to obtain a timely and accurate credit report may be affected, impacting our ability to approve the application in a timely manner.
Use of personal information
Your personal information may be used by us as permitted or required by law, and as reasonably necessary in relation to our transactions and services that we provide to you, including to:
- Process invoices and payments by credit card, debit systems or other billing and payment options; to arrange appropriate leasing arrangements; to provide you with payment and other reminders and notices in relation to your property or premises; and
- Provide you with updates and information regarding services and opportunities offered by Equiton, which may be of interest to you (but only your name, address, telephone number and email address will be used for this purpose).
Sharing your personal information:
We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may share some or all your personal information as required or permitted by law, and as reasonably necessary in relation to our transactions and services with you, including to:
- Third parties, responsible for providing services, including property maintenance, invoicing and payment processing;
- Credit bureaus and agencies to conduct credit checks;
- Your insurance agent or company and insurance adjusters; and
- Another company or business, in the event of a proposed transfer or actual transfer of ownership of all or part of our companies to another company or business, but for this purpose, we shall not authorize use of your personal information beyond the scope of any such transaction or this policy.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We retain your personal information as long as your relationship or transaction otherwise continues with us, and as long as reasonably necessary to address any issues and satisfy any potential legal obligations that we may have.
Safeguards for personal information:
Commercial electronic messages
It is your choice whether to receive emails or special offers from us or others. Where applicable, we will seek your express consent to send you information, including by way of commercial electronic messages (such as emails). This consent is sought by Equiton Partners Inc. at 1111 International Blvd, Suite 600, Burlington ON, Canada, L7L 6W1 and email@example.com. You can unsubscribe at any time by following
the instructions in the commercial electronic message. If you have opted out of receiving marketing communications from us, please be aware that we may still contact you for other purposes. For example, we may contact you to provide communications you have consented to receive, regarding the services we provide to you, or if you contact us with an inquiry.
For more information, to make inquiries or to file a complaint, please contact:
1111 International Blvd.
Burlington, Ontario L7L 6W1